Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Day 26 - Emporia, KS to Topeka, KS - 67 miles - 2,359 feet of climbing - 3:37 hours in the saddle

Today the group seemed to have renewed energy (both mental and physical) after the Rest Day.  It was a short 67 miles with a pie stop.  The road was smooth with rolling hills and verdant farms.  No threat of rain today, as the storms went through the Topeka area last night.  Just smooth sailing with a tailwind!

Due to road construction, our route was slightly altered at the beginning of the day. Although it caused some riders consternation, I rolled with it and enjoyed the residential street as we rode through town.  Right from the beginning the Fasties (Simon, David, Peter) went off the front (as usual), but never widened the gap too much.  At around mile 8 Mark S wanted to ride past Simon, so I offered to be his lead out man and pull him up to the Fasties.  We caught them around mile 9, Mark surged ahead of Simon and all got a good laugh.  I ended up staying with the Fasties until the SAG at 36.  I took my turn in the front and contributed to the 20+ mph pace.  Perhaps this will get me some cycling street cred!!




While riding with the Fasties was fun, I don’t know if I could keep that pace for 67 miles!  Also, going that fast in a pace line, there are no opportunities to take pics (that my story/excuse and I’m sticking to it!).  After SAG I rode solo enjoying the sights and sounds (birds, frogs, cows, etc).








This ride on Kansas Route 4 was the prettiest ride since Santa Fe. No disrespect to the feedlots of Dalhart, TX!  At mile 52 we came to the pie stop at the Sommerset Cafe.  When in doubt on which slice to get, strawberry rhubarb or coconut cream……get both!





Needless to say, I was a little sluggish for the last 13 miles of the ride!

We have passed the halfway point with over 1,700 miles of the 3,400 miles completed.  Still looking east in earnest.
                                             May need a special beard/moustache edition of this blog!

Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal





No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...