Sunday, June 11, 2023

Day 37 - Richmond, IN to Marysville, OH - 105 miles - 1,844 feet climbing - 6:23 hours in the saddle

Fire Alarm….Scattered Start….Cowbells at SAG 1….Rain!

The hotel fire alarm went off at 4:21 this morning.  It took me a while to come out of my slumber and figure out what that sound was.  Then I heard the opening and closing of room doors up and down the hall.  Then it stopped.  Apparently the kitchen staff had burned the eggs!  Good news is I guess the eggs are not powdered!

I followed my morning routine of being a groupie to the Route Rap Rappers!  Led by Barbara, the 7:00 am crew sings a new theme song (new words to a familiar tune) every day to match our state/ride/distance/etc.  I noticed several 7:30 riders going out at 7:00 to try to beat the rain.  I hustled up to my room to finish my routine and came down to see several other 7:30 riders taking off a little after 7:00.  With adrenaline pumping, I quickly put on my cycling cleats, programed my Wahoo for today’s route and took off in pursuit.  I caught up to several at the Welcome to Ohio sign.  I think this is our 10th state. 


The morning air was cool and the road was smooth with curves.  It was was fun to discover what was around every turn.






At SAG 1 (mile 43) we were greeted by a dozen folks with cowbells and cheers!  The SAG was organized by Greg Bell, a 2019 rider and  staff member in recent years.  We enjoyed homemade “buckeyes”, which are peanut butter and chocolate candies and sugar cookies in the shape of USA with our route in red icing.  Music was playing. We felt welcomed and celebrated!

                                                        Christine and Peter

                                          
                                                            Lisa




Setting out from SAG 1, I pedaled to mile 62 before it started to sprinkle.  Joel and I pulled over at mile 64 to put on our bright yellow rain jackets.  The next 43 miles was in a summer shower.  Fortunately their was no thunder or lightening.

Not many pics today because of the rain.  Here are a couple more pics from my fellow riders.





I got into Marysville around 2:00 and noticed a couple of fun looking bars in Downtown, but I just wanted to get out of the wet cycling gear and take a warm shower.

Dinner was at Texas Roadhouse.  Someone (probably Tom) told the waiter that it was my birthday (which is actually in October).  They did a big announcement/chant and got everyone to give me a big YeeHaw.   

Back to back centuries (100 miles).  One done and one to go! Tomorrow’s ride will have a lot more climbing and will be a long, hard day in the saddle.  I wonder if some of the 7:30 crew will be leaving early again tomorrow?

Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...