Saturday, May 27, 2023

Day 22 - Dodge City, KS to Great Bend, KS - 88 miles - no climbing - 5:25 hours in the saddle

Another day of riding in Kansas….flat….windy….wheat fields….wind turbines….grain elevators.  I noticed more trees today on the landscape.  We traveled most of the day back on the Santa Fe Trail.





We had plenty of cloud cover today and also plenty on wind.  Crosswinds all day, but the first 40 miles the crosswinds included a dose of slight headwind.  The next 40 miles the crosswinds included a dose of slight tailwind.  My speed picked up 4 - 5 mph with no additional effort.  The last 10 miles felt like we were back to the crosswind with a touch of headwind.  Below is me measuring the angle of the wind.

We stopped in Kinsley, KS, whose claim to fame is being midway between two other places (San Francisco and NewYork).  But that is not our journey’s half way point.  I think it comes in a few days.  At the stop there was also a sod house museum.  The museum also displayed a bicycle of a gentleman that rode his bike from NYC to Kinsley in 1900.  I am thankful one for the advancements in bike technology!  Also frolicked on the playground!




50 yards out of the SAG 2 at Mile 52, I got my 7th flat tire of the tour.  Rather than change the tire on the side of the road I walked it back to the SAG, where I had a proper pump (and help from Greg Bell).  That put me behind most of the group and I rode the next 20 miles in solitude.

A quick detour to see Pawnee Rock with Stephanie.  It is a rocky point of elevation that was a notable landmark along the Santa Fe Trail in the 1800’s.  I suspect it was more impressive to the early pioneers than to me today.



Rode into town about 2:00 and checked into the hotel.  Then, as is my practice of late, rode to downtown, where I “happened” upon a brewery, Dry Lake Brewery.  My friend Barbara joined me for a cold Pale Ale.



Tomorrow is a shorter ride for 6o miles due east.  The difficulty will depend on the weather (wind or rain), but we will ride it no matter what!

Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal





No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...