Sunday, May 28, 2023

Day 23 - Great Bend, KS to McPherson, KS - 64 miles - No climbing - 3:55 hours in the saddle

Still in Kansas and still windy (but less wind turbines).  The terrain is a little more rolling with more trees.  I did not see many irrigated fields today (nor does my Relive show many round green fields!) OUr route today was due east with the wind blowing out of the south / southeast.  That made for a strong crosswind for the entire ride.  


Early on Joel (Indiana) and Spencer (Oregon) and I arranged ourselves in an echelon formation to counteract the crosswinds.  This formation is where each successive cyclist in the line is slightly behind and to the left in our case because of the winds from the south.  Every mile the front cyclist would drop to the back and the next in line would assume the front position breaking the wind.  This provides for protection from the wind for the other cyclists.  Unfortunately at mile 10, I had a flat in my rear tire, caused by a 1.5 inch nail.  This is my 8th flat of the tour.  Greg and Peyton came along and helped me change the flat.  Being the last rider on the road, I felt like I was playing catch up.  Greg and I traded turns breaking the wind until mile 25, when Greg rode with another rider.   I rode solo into SAG at mile 32.



Had a short SAG since I wanted to leave with some of the other riders for the last 30+ miles.  Around Conway, KS we came across many gas pipeline and storage facilities.  The natural gas liquids (NGL) are stored underground in large caverns carved into the underlying salt beds.  These natural caverns can store millions of barrels of NGL.



Despite the flat, I still rolled into McPherson by noon.  I typically ride through the downtown of our host towns, but today being Sunday I assumed everything would be closed.  Well, I hear from my fellow cyclists that I missed a good one in Noffy’s Sandwich Shop and Pub.  However, Braum’s provided an excellent shake and interesting lunch conversation learning about David’s (Virginia) time in the Navy and on a submarine.  Also heard more about Peter (UK) generously opening his home to Ukrainian refugees.  Everyone on this trip has an interesting story!


I’ve ridden 558 miles in the last week, which is the most ever for me.  On Memorial Day we ride to Emporia, KS, then enjoy a well deserved rest day on Tuesday.

Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal








No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...