Monday, June 5, 2023

Day 31 - Quincy, IL to Springfield, IL - 108 miles - 2,024 feet of climbing - 7:22 hours in the saddle

Today was a long day, that started with a squishy front tire and a time consuming group breakfast ordering off the menu.

I was in denial about my squishy front tire, so pumped it up and rode.  And at SAG 1, pumped it up and rode.  And at an impromptu stop with the van, pumped it up and rode.  Finally at mile 69 (SAG 2), I accepted my fate and changed my 11th flat tire of the tour.  Simon showed me the amazing gizmo he had for getting the tire back on the rim.  I need to order the Tyre Glider!

Loved the route today until SAG 2!  After SAG 2, it was 25 miles on a straight road into a headwind (or maybe slightly to the left of headwind).  But this is my story, so I’ll call it a headwind.  That portion of the ride was a slog.  It punished me, such that I was pedaling at 12 - 13 mph (instead of their normal 15 - 17 mph).  Seems like it took me an eternity to make it to the outskirts of Springfield.

Dinner tonight was with Mike Wood, my college roommate from University of Illinois, and his brother Dave.  Dave flew them down from Chicago just to have dinner, then they were flying back.  It was great to answer questions about the bike tour and to tell stories.  Also caught up on retirement, family, kids, etc.  Great to see them and thanks for the effort to come visit me.  It provided me motivation to get through the 108 mile ride!

Here are some pics from the day, which include me busting out a University of Illinois jersey and riding across the Illinois River.







Tomorrow we ride to Champaign, where I went to college, then a rest day.  I’ll be sporting my U of I jersey again.  I so excited to have dinner with my wife and sister tomorrow, then Erika will hang out with me on the rest day.  This is the longest we have been apart in our 37 years of marriage!

Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...