Sunday, June 4, 2023

Day 30 - Kirksville, MO to Quincy, IL - 77 miles - 2,096 feet climbing - 5:01 hours in the saddle

Today was a milestone day as we passed the 2,000 mile mark and crossed the mighty Mississippi River into Illinois, my home state.

We had a 8:00 am start this morning because of the late breakfast at the hotel.  And it was good we had a late start because I had a flat rear tire (10th of the trip).  I noticed it in my room this morning, but was in denial, hoping it would magically heal.  But I faced the music because it is easier to change at the hotel than when we are on the road.  With Peyton’s help, it was a quick change.  Never really determined the cause, but seemed to be related to where I patched the tire from the nail a couple of weeks ago.

The legs were promptly called into action this morning as a couple of rollers immediately appeared.  Spencer and I teamed up in a pace line, with roughly 2 mile shifts up front, until SAG 1 at 32 miles.  The state highway was quiet as we rode through several small towns (less than 300 residents) on this Sunday morning.  While at SAG 1, we celebrated pedaling 2,000 miles.  It is amazing how much distance and varied terrain we have covered in the 4 weeks since we left Manhattan Beach!



I saw another “Share the Road” with Buggies sign.  Several of the 7:00 riders saw a horse and buggy and shared pics.



I rode solo after SAG 1 for the rest of the day.  I took a lot of farm shots as I was reminiscing about growing up on a farm in Central Illinois.  So many memories came flooding back.  The tractor below is the same Ford tractor circa 1950 that my Grandpa had.  And it still mows the pasture at the homestead to this day (thanks to my brother-in-law, Chris Maurer).  The raked hay reminds me of baling hay with my Grandpa, when it was a community event of 3 families helping each other.  Of course, we actually baled hay (small rectangles held together with twine) rather than the current use of hay rolls.






At mile 52 I stopped to get an ice sock to keep me cool and topped off my water for the last 25 miles to the Mississippi River!






After I crossed the bridge into Illinois, I headed to Chicks on the River for a beer and some food.  Stephanie and Jill joined me.






Big ride of 106 miles tomorrow to Springfield (third longest on the tour)!

Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...