Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Day 39 - Wooster, OH to Niles, OH - 94 miles - 3,766 feet of climbing - 6:07 hours in the saddle

Hills early….MetroParks Bikeway….Beat the rain

We road out this morning in cool temps (44 degrees) and cloud cover, with rain jackets tucked wherever you could stash it.  I tuck mine either in my vest pocket or lumped under my jersey at the shoulders.  It creates quite an interesting profile.  Right out of the hotel we started climbing for 2+ miles with grades approaching 5 - 6 percent.  So much for an easy spin to warm up your legs before they have to really get to work.  And that is coming off back to back century rides!  There was a moderate - heavy amount of climbing today and I think we did 2/3 of it by SAG 1 at mile 35.  When you see the elevation profile on your Wahoo contains orange, you know you are in for a challenging hill with a portion greater than 6 percent grade. 




We saw stately homes in Wooster, then were quickly in the countryside.  I rode solo most of the day.  The road meandered, following the contour of the land, by many farms.  I may have called “Moo” to a cow or two!  And who knew there are vineyards in Ohio?!



At SAG 2 (mile 64), the wind had picked up and it felt like rain.  I put on my bright yellow rain jacket, but the rain never materialized enough to warrant the jacket.  When added to the 3 other layers I was wearing (2 base layers and a jersey), all it did was make me hot!  Glad to have it, but glad I didn’t need it.

At mile 78, we turned onto the MetroParks Bikeway.  The 11 mile bikeway was on a former Erie Railroad Company line (rails to trails) that was an important link between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  The trial allowed us to safely get through the Youngstown area to Niles, all the while enjoying the nature that surrounded the trail.


After stopping at Subway for lunch, I arrived at the hotel at 2:15 and was greeted by a cooler of beer.  A great way to complete a ride.  Fortunately I was in the hotel before the rain started around 3:00.  Several of our riders were caught in the rain. I felt sorry for them.

We have ridden 511 miles since our last rest day.  Tomorrow we ride 89 miles to Erie, PA, then have a rest day on Thursday.  I am ready for a day off the bike to reenergize for our final push to Boston.  

Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal




No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...