Thursday, June 15, 2023

Day 40 - Niles, OH to Erie, PA - 90 miles - 1,437 feet of climbing - 5:43 hours in the saddle

Puddles….Wind….Cold….Rain….Root Beer

Given a choice, I would not ride in the rain.  But on a cross country ride, you do not have a choice!  Fortunately the rain was dissipating as we departed at 7:30 (can’t say the same for the 7:00 riders), but we still had to contending with puddles of water on the road and splashes from passing cars.  Before long the backside on my shorts and my socks were soaked.  It was also windy as we headed north.  Normally we would draft off of each other, but with water spraying off the back wheel of the rider ahead, you did not want to get too close.  Oh, I did I mention it was also cold (low 50’s)…..the trifecta!

                                                            Joel and Dave
                                                 Barbara rolled out with the 7:00 riders singing

About an hour in, the roads started to dry, but the skies still looked ominous.  By SAG 1 (mile 36) I was just about dry and thought about leaving my rain jacket in the van.  Glad I tucked it under my jersey just in case!



                                                        Verification of the headwind!

One of my Mom’s favorite flowers was the peony.  Growing up, we had several peony bushes and they would bloom around Memorial Day.  We would cut the flowers to take to the cemetery and place on our ancestor’s graves.  Over the last week, I have noticed peony bushes, but they were all past their prime.  I finally came upon one with an abundance of flowers.  It made me happy and reminded me of Mom (Norma Jean).


10 miles out of SAG 1, we caught up with the rain clouds.  The skies opened up and the downpour began.  The just about dried Todd was soaking wet again. Fortunately I had enough warning to put my rain jacket back on before the deluge.  While short lived (maybe 30 minutes), it was intense!

SAG 2 (mile 62) was at White Turkey Drive-In, a 70 year old institution specializing in root beer floats and turkey sandwiches.  The open air drive-in has definitely retained its 1950’s vibe. 

                                                    Tom, Simon, Alena, Peter, Jill, Ron (l-r)


Shortly after SAG 2 we crossed in to Pennsylvania, our 11th state.  I don’t look particularly happy in this pic!  The last 25 miles was a slog.  I was tired, my chain was dirty and not purring and the expected tailwind didn’t materialize.


Plenty of vineyards, nurseries and strawberry fields forever as we rode parallel to Lake Erie.  We rode by many stately old homes, but I didn’t stop for any pics.  My Wahoo was acting up, so I had to follow Jill’s lead to the hotel.  The lake finally came into view as we arrived at the hotel.


                                                


A room with a view, pizza dinner with Mark B, Dave, David and Joel at Tap House, a sunset and much needed rest day tomorrow!




Savor the Journey // Achieve the Goal



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 48 - Burlington, MA to Boston’s Revere Beach, MA - 17 miles - 200 feet of climbing - 1:30 hours in the saddle Final Tour Stats - 3,462 m...